Sunday, April 25, 2010

Labor and Nicu story!!

When I started this blog I just jumped right into it, then realized there are my babycenter friends who probably don't know too much about me, and might enjoy hearing our labor story!! 10 Months ago when X was born it was the absolute hardest time I've ever had to go through..I was already on hospital bed rest, a emotional wreck from the isolation and scared to death of my baby possibly being born early.. Tom and I had a quick little tour of our hospitals Nicu, I can remember it so clearly just like it was yesterday..As we were leaving I saw what I thought was the tiniest baby ever, she was in a overhead warmer bassinet and I had asked the nurse about her..She was a 32 weeker and weighed 3 1/2 pounds, I just remember how small she was and that terrified me even more because I was only 25 weeks at the time..The morning I had X was like any other in the hospital, I had nst's done throughout the day and all was well, I wasn't registering any contractions and felt pretty good, I was a little crampy but the nurses chalked that up to being slightly backed up down there, if ya know what I mean..It was around midnight and my husband and I were getting ready to call it a night, I went to the restroom and that is when everything changed..My membranes were bulging and I had no clue! I realized at that moment we were going to have our son whether I liked it or not. I was immediately taken to L&D where they put me on Mag to try and stop the contractions( I hadn't even felt them until this point)Xander was breech and kicking the crap out of my cervix and was eventually going to break my water anyways..The last ultrasound they took showed one of his feet going through my cervix..OUCH! When they saw that I was rushed to the OR to get our little guy out..This whole time which was about 2 hours so far, I was a basket case..Crying and just praying so hard that Xander would be o.k. If not for my husband( who is by the way, the best husband and daddy)I would of lost it.. At 3 a.m. on the nose they delivered X via emergency c-section..His apgars were 5 and 6..The first time I saw him he was already in a isolette and the nurse held him up inside of it real quick so I could see him. He was absolutely beautiful and perfect( All 2 lbs 5 ozs of him).

X was wrapped in bubble wrap and on a vent


Thankfully I had received two rounds of steroids to help X out and he was able to move to the bubble c-pap three hours after he was born..






That was the start of the longest 65 days of my life..Everyday brought new challenges for Xander, on two different occasions they thought he had nec, thankfully he was just severely anemic and needed red blood cell packet transfusions, I remember on one occasion Tom and I went to visit X and he looked so bad..He was pale and so lethargic when we were doing his care..I just knew something was wrong. His nurse that night was getting him ready to do one of his windows( trying out the low flow nasal cannula) and immediately after taking off his cpap he just crashed, all the alarms were going off and the cpap went straight back on. I knew he wasn't feeling well and just wanted the damn doctors to do something, anything..Later that night X was stable and we left to go home, around 5:30 the next morning I got a phone call from one of the doctors saying Xander had a seizure and his o2 requirements were higher than ever..at 55%..X had been on room air at 21% since going to cpap..and that they were going to take x-rays and do a head ultrasound..I just felt so hopeless and my heart was breaking not knowing what was going on with my little boy..By time I had got to the hospital a couple of hours later, X had a complete turnaround!! Thank God!! He was becoming crit dependent and was in desperate need of blood..As far as the seizure they chalked that up to not being anything serious, he never had anymore and all of his tests had came out clean..That was the last major chaos that happened..The rest of the stay was X growing and learning how to feed and getting off all o2..


X about two and a half weeks old



X and mommy getting some kangaroo care time, that paci is huge!


First time wearing big boy preemie clothes!!


First day in a open crib!!







No equipment!!! Such a beautiful face!!



GOING HOME!!!!!



So that was how it all went down..X just turned ten months on Friday and is the joy of my world..I thank god everyday for protecting him and keeping him safe and with us..I am so proud of my little guy and love him more than I could ever say!!

1 comment:

  1. man, our stories are similar jen! xander is such a bautiful boy! reading this brought back so many memories and makes me so happy about where we are today!

    ReplyDelete